Our policy is that all children should wear clothing that is in keeping with a purposeful learning ethos. Our policy is based on the belief that a school uniform:
- promotes a sense of pride in the school
- engenders a feeling of belonging
- is practical and distinctive
- identifies the children with the school
- is not distracting in class (as normal plain clothes may be)
- makes children feel equal to one another in terms of appearance
- reflects the sense both of community
- is regarded as suitable, and good value for money, by most parents
We expect the children at St. Luke’s to wear school uniform as follows:
We obviously want our nursery uniform to be comfortable, easy for pupils to manage especially when accessing the toilets and be affordable for parents. For that reason, the uniform is:
- Plain navy tracksuit bottoms
- ‘Dove school logo’ jumper or cardigan *
- Sky blue ‘Dove school logo’ polo shirt *
Nursery children do not need to purchase any separate PE kit, blazer etc.
Main school - Winter Uniform
- Navy blue tie with two stripes (KS1 Elastic tie) and (KS2 Clip on tie)
- Navy blazer with sky blue piping with ‘Dove’ logo
- Navy V-neck jumper/cardigan (navy with sky blue strip and ‘Dove’ logo)
- White shirt/blouse
- Navy school trousers
- Navy school skirt (box pleat) or pinafore (box pleat)
- Navy tights or socks (plain)
Main school - Summer Uniform
- White tights or socks (plain or Navy Gingham trim)
- Navy school shorts
- Navy socks
Short sleeved shirt/blouse can be worn without a tie if the shirt/blouse does not have a top button.
Pupils in Year 1 and Year 2, pupils will not be required to wear it during the school day.
The blazer is optional for pupils in Reception.
Nursery pupils do not need blazers.
Pupils in Year 3 – 6 are expected to wear their blazers.
- ‘Dove’ cap or woolly hat (or plain navy)
- Girls can wear navy lycra shorts under their skirts or dresses
Girls are allowed to wear plain navy headscarves for religious reasons.
Bags: Book bag (essential for pupils in Reception, Year 1 & Year 2) or shoulder bag/rucksack (all blue with ‘Dove’ logo) for pupils in KS2.
Main school - Physical Education (PE)
House colour T-Shirt (St. George – Red, St. David – Yellow, St. Patrick – Green and St. Andrew – Blue). Plain black plimsolls/trainers
PE kit should be brought into school on a Monday and taken home on Fridays to be washed.
Pupils should not wear their PE kits to school with the exception of Reception class. Nursery pupils do not require PE kits.
Due to COVID and West Norwood’s pool being closed, some year groups have missed out on their sessions. The pool is reopening from 11th September for schools. Year 4 will have swimming lessons for the whole school year, Year 5 will have swimming lessons in Autumn 2023 and Year 3 will have lessons in Spring and Summer 2023.
Year 5 (Autumn)
Year 3 (Spring and Summer)
There is no school swimming uniform or colour restrictions, however, the staff at the swimming pool are very clear about the clothing and equipment that children are required to bring:-
- Swimming trunks (long shorts are not allowed)
- One piece swimsuits (two piece swimsuits are not allowed)
- A suitable towel (must be dry and large enough for your child to dry themselves)
- Goggles and Swim cap
The following items are not school uniform and therefore should not be worn:
- Layered skirts
- Pattern socks
- Jogging bottoms (with the exception of nursery pupils)
- Leggings, shorts or long sleeve tops that are visible underneath pupil’s shirt/blouses, skirts or dresses
- Fabric shoes or Open toed sandals
- Boots (pupils must have school shoes to wear in school)
- Caps or coloured hats
- No nail varnish or tattoos.
Available for outdoor wear only:
- Navy, dark or black school coat (plain)
- Shoes: All children are required to wear sensible, comfortable black shoes without heels for the school day. The wearing of any kind of trainers, other than specifically for outdoor PE and games activities, is not allowed.
No jewellery is allowed to be worn for safety reasons except for small stud earrings (plain). Please make sure your child does not wear any other jewellery, as it will have to be removed when they reach school. Watches can be worn. The school will not be held responsible for any jewellery that is brought into school, either worn by a child, in their belongings or handed in.
Only the blazer, jumper and/or cardigan, tie, bookbags and PE kit need to be bought from School Wear United.
3 Crown Dale, Norwood, London SE19 3PB (Telephone number: 0844 740 1983). The uniform can be ordered on-line from www.schoolwearunited.co.uk.
If you are struggling financially, please speak to Mrs Atkins or Mrs Bryan-Whyte and we will try to assist you. Also, the Norwood and Brixton Foodbank may also be able to assist you.
Labelling of Items
The school staff try to ensure that children try to look after their items but items do unfortunately get lost. Please remind your child to look after their items especially when getting changed.
The school cannot accept responsibility for any lost items.